Columbia Eye Doctors
Mast Head
Columbia Optometrists
American Optometric Assocation

Eye Doctor Conditions

Optometry Office Hours

Welcome to Eye Associates of Greater Columbia

What is Retinal Detachment?

The retina is a part of the eye which collects light and transmits the light messages to the optic nerve and brain. It lines the inner back wall of the eye. Retinal detachment is a disorder of the eye in which the retina peels away from its underlying layer of support tissue. Initial detachment may be localized, but without rapid treatment the entire retina may detach, leading to vision loss and blindness. It is a medical emergency.

Retinal Detachment Symptoms

A retinal detachment will result in a sudden defect in your vision. It may just cause a blind spot too small to notice, or it may cause a noticeable shadow which obscures your vision. a sudden dramatic increase in the number of floaters - small particles/ fine threads just to the temporal side of the central vision may also be noticed. Other symptoms include flashes of light and a feeling of heaviness in the eye.

Retinal Detachment Potential Causes

Retinal Detachment can be caused by rye injuries, cataract surgery, and tumors. Typically, near-sighted individuals, diabetic patients and the elderly are at a greater risk for spontaneous detachment. (diabetic retinopathy can lead to retinal detachment).

Retinal Detachment Treatment

A yearly retinal examination by one of the Optometrists at Eye Associates of Cayce/West Columbia is highly recommended to detect any potential detachment in the earliest stages of development to prevent any future problems.

For more advanced cases, surgery can be an option. 85% of individuals with advanced retinal detachment can be successfully treated during an initial operation while the remaining 15% will require 2 or more operations.

Contact Us

Let us know if you have any questions about our services, or would like to set
up an appointment. For Eye Emergencies, please call us directly.